Law by Decree No. 10 of 2013
Concerning the Al-Istiqlal University
The President of the State of Palestine
The Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organisation
In reference of the provisions of the Amended Basic Law of 2003 and its Amendments, particularly the provisions of Article 43 thereunder,
Having reviewed the Law on Higher Education No. 11 of 1998,
The Law of Service in the Palestinian Security Forces No. 8 of 2005,
The provisions of the Law of Civil Service No. 4 of 1998, as amended,
Based upon the powers bestowed upon me, and
In accomplishment of the public interest,
In the name of the Arab Palestinian people,
I hereby promulgate the following Law by Decree:
The following words and expressions shall have the meanings designated thereto hereunder unless the context determines otherwise:
The State of Palestine.
The President of the State:
The President of the State of Palestine / Commander-in-Chief of the Palestinian Forces.
The Ministry of Higher Education.
The Al-Istiqlal University.
The Board of Trustees of the University.
President of the University:
The President of the Al-Istiqlal University.
The Management and Administration Commission.
1. In accordance with the provisions of this Law, a government university to be called the “Al-Istiqlal University” shall be established. It shall enjoy the public and independent juridical personality and full legal capacity to exercise all the functions and dispositions, which ensure the achievement of the purposes for which it has been established, including the ownership and disposition of the movable and immovable properties needed to manage its functions and exercise its activity in pursuance of the provisions of the Law.
2. The University shall report to the Commander-in-Chief of the Palestinian Forces.
3. The University shall enjoy the exemptions and facilities granted to the state institutions as well as any other exemptions granted to it in accordance with the Law.
1. The headquarters of the University shall be in the city of Jericho. It shall be entitled to establish other branches in any other area.
2. The Al-Istiqlal University shall work as a government university towards delivering educational and training services to the individuals enrolled thereat through the educational system accredited thereby.
The Ministry shall provide academic supervision of the University, maintain its excellence, help it make available the financial resources to fund its activities, and work towards its growth and prosperity in cooperation with the Board.
The University shall seek to achieve the following objectives:
1. Attain the highest levels of academic competence and practical efficiency for the Palestinian security personnel.
2. Teach students the information, skills, values and perceptions necessary for their specialisations, and which are related to future functions.
3. Enrich scientific research in the field of specialised security studies on the fight against and prevention of crime as well as keeping pace with global developments in the control of crime and delinquency.
4. Develop systems and research, which introduce security in its comprehensive sense.
5. Develop infrastructure and educational and training curricula.
6. Respond to the local market needs for the ongoing development of operational human resources through courses, workshops and continuing education / training.
7. Build an integrated partnership with various security agencies, which employ its graduates, with a view to developing the educational process in tandem with the new needs of such agencies.
8. Launch distinctive specialisations at one or more particular faculty(s) with relevance to the security sector.
9. Strengthen the frameworks of scientific cooperation with local and international scientific bodies and establish scientific research centres.
10. Develop students’ positive perception of the concept of higher education and security education.
11. Create an academic and democratic environment and intellectual freedom for students.
12. Enhance the competence of the University staff through programmes of scholarships and in-service rehabilitation.
13. Lay the ground for achieving, and follow up on the implementation and improvement of, the quality of higher education standards.
The University shall carry out the following tasks and powers:
1. Grant academic degrees in security sciences and relevant specialisations in accordance with the laws and regulations applicable at the Ministry.
2. Prepare, rehabilitate and train the personnel of Palestinian security forces and implement the tasks assigned to them under this Law in coordination with the Commission and Commission for the Military Training of Palestinian Security Forces.
3. Work towards graduating qualified officers who enjoy essential academic and professional competence to work at the Palestinian security establishment, and continue to develop and improve their scientific and professional capacities and skills in the fields of operation of the security forces, including all its branches and various specialisations.
4. Support the Palestinian security forces with professional cadres who have academic and administrative qualifications and are capable of shouldering national responsibility in an advanced scientific and professional manner.
5. Furnish opportunities for higher education in some specialisations relating to security sciences.
6. Support, develop and enhance the competence and capacities of the security establishment by improving the skills and capacities of respective personnel of all levels and specialisations through specialised training programmes.
7. Establish and strengthen ties, and exchange and utilise scientific and security experiences with Palestinian, Arab and international bodies and institutions to serve the Palestinian security and accomplish objectives of the University.
8. Work towards promoting scientific research.
9. Work towards serving and developing the society.
1. The University shall have its own budget as an independent financial position within the General Budget of the State. It shall be subject to control and auditing by the competent control institutions in the State.
2. The financial resources of the University shall consist of the following:
a. The line items earmarked for it in the General Budget of the State.
b. Instalments and tuition fees.
c. Financial and development assistance allocated for it by the Ministry.
d. Returns of the investments approved by the Board.
e. Assistance, donations, grants and gifts presented to it by individuals, states, and national, Arab and international bodies, which the Board accepts.
f. Any financial returns which the Board approves or agrees on.
At the beginning of every academic year, admission of new students at the University shall be determined on the basis of the needs of the Palestinian security forces as the Commission specifies, as well as the financial appropriations needed thereto in the General Budget.
In accordance with the provisions of this Law, a board to be called the “Board of Trustees of the University” shall be established. It shall consist of 11-17 members, including the Board Chairman. They shall be appointed by a decision from the President of the State, provided that they are from among pioneering national personalities in the academic, scientific and security circles.
In addition to the powers and jurisdictions granted to it in accordance with the provisions of this Law, the Board shall be competent of the following tasks and powers:
1. Appoint Vice-Presidents of the University.
2. Supervise, oversee and follow up on functions of the University.
3. Approve the policies and plans necessary for the functioning of the University.
4. Approve the budget of the University.
5. Approve the projects and programmes which the University presents to financial bodies for the purpose of funding.
6. Approve internal regulations and bylaws relevant to functions of the University.
7. Accredit the annual final account of the University.
8. Approve and submit the organisational and functional structure of the University to the President of the State for approval.
9. Establish and set forth the tasks of permanent and temporary commissions and committees relating to the Board’s functions.
10. Endorse contracts and agreements with national and foreign bodies.
11. Agree to investing the University’s funds in the projects it deems fit.
12. Agree to purchasing or selling immovable properties in accordance with the Law.
13. Establish branches of the University.
14. Appoint a certified auditor for the University.
15. Submit a financial and administrative report at the end of every year on the progress of work and activities of the University to the President of the State and Council of Ministers.
1. The Board shall convene at regular intervals once every six months. It may also hold emergency meetings at an invitation from its Chairman or from a number of not less than one third of the members.
2. The Board’s decisions shall be issued forth with a majority vote of the present members. In the event of an equality of the votes, the side of the chairman of the session shall have the casting vote.
3. The Board may invite to its meetings the experts and professionals whom it deems fit, provided that they do not have the right to vote.
4. In the first session, the Board members shall elect a Board Chairman, a Board Deputy Chairman and a Secretary.
5. The Board shall put forward and endorse its bylaw.
1. In addition to the tasks and powers granted to him in accordance with the provisions of this Law, the Board Chairman shall be competent of the following:
a. Represent the Board before official and nonofficial bodies.
b. Sign all the decisions issued forth by the Board.
c. Issue forth any directives to the President of the University to act accordingly in pursuance of the provisions of the Law.
2. The Board Deputy Chairman shall exercise the tasks of the Board Chairman in the event of this absence.
The President of the University shall be appointed and relieved from his position by a decision from the President of the State based upon a recommendation from the Board. The term of his appointment shall be four years that is renewable once. The person who is appointed in this position shall be required to have attained the rank of professorship from a recognised university for a period of not less than two years.
In addition to the tasks and powers granted to him in accordance with the provisions of this Law, the President of the University shall be competent of the following:
1. Represent the Board before official and nonofficial bodies.
2. Implement the Board decisions.
3. Implement the plans, programmes and administrative policies approved by the Board.
4. Conclude contracts and agreements regarding the grants, donations and loans which are presented to the University by national, Arab and international bodies and institutions as approved by the Board.
5. Conclude contracts with advisors and experts to work at the University following approval of the Board.
6. Submit proposals and plans for discussion with the Board of Deans in order to submit the same to the Board for endorsement.
7. Prepare and submit the draft general budget of the University to the Board for approval.
8. Submit the annual final account to the Board for endorsement.
9. Take part in the Board meetings without having the right to vote.
10. Any other tasks assigned to him by the Board with a view to achieving the objectives and goals of this Law.
1. The following boards shall be established at the University:
a. The University Presidency Board.
b. The University Board.
c. The Board of Deans.
d. The Board of Higher Studies and Scientific Research.
e. The boards of faculties and institutes.
f. The boards of departments, sections and centres.
2. The bylaw shall set forth the operating mechanism and meetings of these boards.
1. All the employees at administrative sections shall be deemed to be administrative staff. On the other hand, the employees of academic sections shall be deemed to be members of the teaching staff as per their ranks and classification.
2. The employees and members of the teaching staff shall be subject to the Law of Civil Service, Law on Higher Education and Law of Service in the Palestinian Security Forces, each in accordance with their classification.
The load of scientific research and remunerations of members of the teaching staff shall be determined in accordance with a regulation to be issued forth for such purpose.
The University shall grant the following certificates and academic degrees:
1. The bachelor’s degree: A certificate granted to the student after he completes a minimum of one hundred and twenty credit hours or their equivalent in the majors approved at the University following the general certificate of secondary education or its equivalent in accordance with the legislation in force.
2. The University shall be entitled to grant other degrees after obtaining approvals of competent bodies in accordance with the Law.
3. The University shall have the right to grant other certificates which the Ministry approves.
4. The University shall have the right grant military certificates.
Like all government institutions, the University shall be subject to the competent control bodies in the State.
1. The Council of Ministers shall issue forth the regulations necessary for the enforcement of the provisions of this Law, based upon a recommendation from the Board.
2. The Ministry and Commission, within the limits of their jurisdictions, shall issue forth the instructions and decisions necessary for the enforcement of the provisions of this Law.
3. The Board of Trustees and President of the University, each within the limits of their jurisdictions, shall issue forth the instructions and decisions necessary for the enforcement of the provisions of this Law.
1. Without prejudice to the provisions of this Law by Decree, the provisions of the in force Law on Higher Education shall be applicable.
2. All provisions that contradict the provisions of this Law by Decree shall be repealed.
This Law by Decree shall be presented to the Legislative Council in the first session it convenes for approval.
All the competent authorities, each one within its sphere of jurisdiction, shall implement the provisions of this Law by Decree, which shall enter into force as of the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
Issued in the city of Ramallah on June 12th, 2013 Anno Domini.
Corresponding to Sha’ban 3rd, 1434 Anno Hegira.
President of the State of Palestine
Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organisation
قرار بقانون رقم (10) لسنة 2013م بشأن جامعة الاستقلال
رئيس دولة فلسطين
رئيس اللجنة التنفيذية لمنظمة التحرير الفلسطينية
استناداً لأحكام القانون الأساسي المعدل لسنة 2003م وتعديلاته، ولا سيما أحكام المادة (43) منه،
وبعد الاطلاع على قانون التعليم العالي رقم (11) لسنة 1998م،
وعلى قانون الخدمة في قوى الأمن الفلسطينية رقم (8) لسنة 2005م،
وعلى أحكام قانون الخدمة المدنية رقم (4) لسنة 1998م وتعديلاته،
وبناءً على الصلاحيات المخولة لنا،
وتحقيقاً للمصلحة العامة،
وباسم الشعب العربي الفلسطيني،
يكون للكلمات والعبارات الواردة في هذا القانون المعاني المخصصة لها أدناه ما لم تدل القرينة على خلاف ذلك:
الدولة: دولة فلسطين.
رئيس الدولة: رئيس دولة فلسطين/ القائد الأعلى للقوات الفلسطينية.
الوزارة: وزارة التعليم العالي.
الجامعة: جامعة الاستقلال.
المجلس: مجلس أمناء الجامعة.
رئيس الجامعة: رئيس جامعة الاستقلال.
تسعى الجامعة إلى تحقيق الأهداف الآتية:
تتولى الجامعة القيام بالمهام والصلاحيات الآتية:
ينشأ بموجب أحكام هذا القانون مجلساً يسمى "مجلس أمناء الجامعة"، يتكون من (11- 17) عضواً بمن فيهم رئيس المجلس، ويتم تعيينهم بقرار من رئيس الدولة، على أن يكونوا من الشخصيات الوطنية الرائدة في الأوساط الأكاديمية والعلمية والأمنية.
بالإضافة إلى الصلاحيات والاختصاصات الممنوحة للمجلس بموجب أحكام هذا القانون يختص المجلس بالمهام والصلاحيات الآتية:
يعين رئيس الجامعة ويعفى من منصبه بقرار من رئيس الدولة، بناءً على تنسيب من المجلس، وتكون مدة تعيينه أربع سنوات قابلة للتجديد لمرة واحدة، ويشترط فيمن يعين لهذا المنصب أن يكون قد شغل رتبة الأستاذية من جامعة معترف بها مدة لا تقل عن سنتين.
بالإضافة إلى المهام الممنوحة لرئيس الجامعة بموجب أحكام هذا القانون يختص بالمهام والواجبات الآتية:
1. يعتبر كافة موظفو الأقسام الإدارية موظفون إداريون، بينما يعتبر موظفو الأقسام الأكاديمية أعضاء في هيئة التدريس حسب رتبهم وتصنيفهم.
2. يخضع العاملون وأعضاء الهيئة التدريسية لقانون الخدمة المدنية وقانون التعليم العالي، وقانون الخدمة في قوى الأمن الفلسطينية كل حسب تصنيفه.
يحدد عبء البحث العلمي والمكافآت الخاصة بأعضاء الهيئة التدريسية بموجب نظام يصدر لهذه الغاية.
تمنح الجامعة الشهادات والدرجات العلمية الآتية:
تخضع الجامعة كسائر المؤسسات الحكومية للجهات الرقابية المختصة في الدولة.
يعرض هذا القرار بقانون على المجلس التشريعي في أول جلسة يعقدها لإقراره.
على الجهات المختصة كافة، كل فيما يخصه، تنفيذ هذا القرار بقانون ، ويعمل به من تاريخ نشره في الجريدة الرسمية.
صدر في مدينة رام الله بتاريخ: 2013/06/12 ميلادية.
الموافق: 3/ شعبان /1434هجرية.
رئيس دولة فلسطين
رئيس اللجنة التنفيذية لمنظمة التحرير الفلسطينية
We are thrilled to announce the successful launch of our new legal database design as part of DCAF's ongoing commitment to our valued users. This update introduces a range of improvements, including a streamlined, user-friendly interface and enhanced functionalities, ensuring effortless access to vital information.
We take great pride in delivering this significant enhancement, and we reaffirm our dedication to providing you with the utmost service excellence. We extend our sincere gratitude for your continued trust and support.