Decision of the Prime Minister No. 16 of 2020
The Prime Minister,
In reference of the provisions of the Amended Basic Law of 2003, as amended,
The provisions of the Presidential Decree No. 4 of 2020 Concerning the Declaration of the State of Emergency,
The Law by Decree No. 7 of 2020 Concerning the State of Emergency, particularly the provisions of Article 1 thereunder,
Having reviewed the General Health Protocol on Public Health and Safety Preventive Measures, approved on May 5th, 2020,
Based upon my authorisation of the powers and competences necessary to achieve the purposes of the declaration of the state of emergency,
The powers bestowed upon me under the legislation in force,
In preservation of public health and safety, and
In pursuance of the public interest,
Hereby promulgates the following Decision:
1. It shall be allowed to operate all types of businesses, occupations, professions, and workshops, open all commercial premises and malls and industrial establishments, and carry out all commercial and industrial activities in all sectors and in all private companies, institutions, and businesses throughout the Palestinian territory as of the morning of Tuesday, May 26th, 2020.
2. All checkpoints between governorates of the homeland shall be lifted. Work and attendance at public service in all ministries and government institutions and departments shall commence as usual, including regular and family courts, as of the morning of Wednesday, May 27th, 2020.
3. Mosques, churches, and places of worship shall be opened as of the dawn prayers of Tuesday, May 26th, 2020, provided that worshippers wear facemasks, use private carpets, and keep distancing between them. Performing ablution inside the mosque shall be prohibited.
4. Movement and access by private and public means of transportation shall be allowed between governorates, cities, villages, and towns, taking account of the General Health Protocol on Public Health and Safety Preventive Measures, which was approved on May 5th, 2020.
5. Academicians, instructors, and administrative staff shall be permitted to work at universities, institutes, and private schools, without students going back to school. The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research shall announce the procedures and measures necessary for attendance in the summer course within days.
6. All citizens, workers, employers, and professionals must comply with the provisions of the General Health Protocol, which regulates public health and safety preventive measures to be applied by institutions, commercial premises, occupations, drivers of public transportation vehicles, and citizens, as approved and issued forth in this regard.
1. The work of nurseries and kindergartens shall be regulated in accordance with a health protocol to be issued forth by the competent authorities, ensuring the periodic testing of children and female employees.
2. Restaurants, coffee shops, and sports clubs shall be allowed to operate in line with the relevant procedures and measures to be approved by the Ministry of Health and Governors within two days from the date of this Decision.
3. Procedures for the operation of wedding halls and special events facilities shall be developed so that they resume operations soon, in accordance with procedures that take account of number and space.
Each person who violates a provision of this Decision shall be subject to the penalties provided for under the Law by Decree No. 7 of 2020 Concerning the State of Emergency.
All provisions that contradict the provisions of this Decision shall be repealed.
All the competent authorities, each one within its sphere of jurisdiction, shall implement the provisions of this Decision, which shall enter into force as of the date of its promulgation and shall be published in the Official Gazette.
Promulgated in the city of Ramallah on May 25th, 2020 Anno Domini,
Corresponding to Shawwal 2nd, 1441 Anno Hegira.
Dr. Mohammad Shtayyeh