Decision of the Prime Minister No. 14 of 2020
The Prime Minister,
In reference of the provisions of the Amended Basic Law of 2003, as amended,
The provisions of the Presidential Decree No. 4 of 2020 Concerning the Declaration of the State of Emergency,
The Law by Decree No. 7 of 2020 Concerning the State of Emergency, particularly the provisions of Article 1 thereunder,
Having reviewed the General Health Protocol on Public Health and Safety Preventive Measures, approved on May 5th, 2020,
Based upon my authorisation of the powers and competences necessary to achieve the purposes of the declaration of the state of emergency,
The powers bestowed upon me under the legislation in force,
In preservation of public health and safety, and
In pursuance of the public interest,
Hereby promulgates the following Decision:
For the purposes of confronting the outbreak and preventing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country, the following committees shall be established in each governorate of the homeland:
1. The Higher Emergency Committee of the Governorate.
2. Emergency Subcommittee.
3. Support Volunteer Committees.
1. A Higher Emergency Committee of the Governorate shall be established in each governorate. Chaired by the Governor, membership [on the Committee] shall include officials of security and civilian institutions therein as well as those persons whom the Governor deems fit to achieve the purpose of establishing the Committee.
2. The Higher Emergency Committee of the Governorate shall assume the following tasks and responsibilities:
a. Follow up on implementing the decisions regulating the state of emergency as issued forth by the competent authorities.
b. Implement the health and security plans put forward and approved by the competent authorities or Higher Emergency Committee, which are necessary to combat and prevent the outbreak of COVID-19.
c. Take all needed procedures and measures to preserve security, public order, public and private properties, and citizens’ safety and security.
d. Develop field and security plans which would ensure the proper implementation of the decisions on the state of emergency, restriction of movement, and imposition of comprehensive quarantine.
e. Recommend to the Chairman of the National Emergency Committee (Prime Minister) any decision, measure or procedure it deems necessary in relation to the state of emergency and fight against COVID-19.
f. Establish, supervise and follow up on the functions of emergency subcommittees in various towns, villages, refugee camps and locations.
g. Approve and supervise the implementation of the field plans developed by emergency subcommittees.
3. The Higher Emergency Committee of the Governorate shall be in continuous session during the state of emergency at the headquarters of the governorate or in any other place it deems fit.
1. Emergency Subcommittees shall consist of several committees as needed in the cities, towns, villages, refugee camps, and locations in the governorate, and of an adequate number of officials and members of security and civilian institutions in the governorate. The Higher Emergency Committee shall appoint a chair of each subcommittee.
2. Each subcommittee shall be assigned a designated geographical scope, taking into account the population number in each scope.
3. Emergency subcommittees shall assume the following tasks:
a. Develop the field plans needed to implement the decisions and instructions issued forth by the competent authorities in relation to combating COVID-19.
b. Follow up on the functions of and supervise Support Volunteer Committees.
c. List the groups and persons affected by the emergency procedures.
d. Assist the Ministry of Social Development in compiling lists of the names of poor persons and households that need assistance and food aid.
e. Assist the Ministry of Health in compiling lists of the names of patients with chronic diseases or illnesses which require that they visit hospitals or health centres.
f. Classify and list the damages resulting from the emergency procedures.
g. Develop practical plans needed to combat and prevent the outbreak of COVID-19.
h. Monitor, search for, and report any irregularities or infractions of the provisions of the state of emergency, health instructions, and quarantine.
i. Provide aid and assistance to persons in quarantine and assist relevant health and medical bodies in creating appropriate conditions and places for quarantine.
j. Develop needed programmes to boost the morale of citizens.
k. Raise citizens’ awareness about the health methods and means of prevention to protect them against infection or transmission of the disease.
l. Contribute to various sensitisation, training and preparation processes targeting citizens.
m. Work with all actors and frameworks in the area with a view to providing necessary assistance to persons affected by the emergency procedures as well as to the needy, under the supervision of the Ministry of Social Development.
1. Support Volunteer Committees shall be established in all cities, towns, villages, refugee camps and areas by a decision from the Governor and upon a recommendation from the Emergency Subcommittee. Comprising volunteer members, their composition shall take due account of the following:
a. Medical fitness of the volunteer.
b. Different age groups, provided that age is not less than eighteen (18) and not more than sixty (60) years.
c. Membership includes a number of the State’s civil servants.
d. Occupational and professional specialisations of different types.
e. A sufficient number of volunteers as needed.
2. Support Volunteer Committees shall assume the following tasks and responsibilities:
a. Support Palestinian security forces in controlling the entrances to cities, towns, villages, and refugee camps when needed.
b. Support Palestinian security forces in monitoring compliance and adherence to the decisions on home quarantine.
c. Support Palestinian security forces in following up on the closure of commercial premises, and adherence to the working hours according to the decisions issued in this regard.
d. Support the competent authorities in monitoring the compliance of commercial premises, their adherence to health measures, provision of means of protection and prevention, and regulation of customers in terms of distancing and friction.
e. Support health teams at checkpoints and boundaries of all cities, villages, towns, refugee camps, and areas.
f. Assist in providing information and collecting data on the health conditions throughout areas.
g. Support health personnel and other committees in raising awareness about prevention against COVID-19.
h. Help citizens access health facilities when needed.
i. Assist the Ministry of Social Development in delivering social aid and assistance required by conditions of the closure of areas and restriction of movement.
j. Support Palestinian security forces in monitoring vital and health facilities and establishments, as well as residential neighbourhoods, against any risks or threats.
k. Report to Palestinian security forces any violation of the emergency procedures and measures, health instructions, or any crime that occurs.
l. Any duties or tasks assigned thereto by the competent authorities and committees.
3. Each Committee shall have an official, who is appointed by the Governor. They shall assume the task of supervising and coordinating the committee members and their functions, as well as the responsibility for liaising the Committees’ work with other committees and responsible authorities.
1. The Governor shall compile lists, including the names of members of Emergency Subcommittees and Support Volunteer Committees, their telephone numbers, and any other data that facilitate contacting and reaching them.
2. Every volunteer shall be provided with an identification card, including their name, personal photograph, volunteering capacity, and area, provided that it is visible to everybody while they perform their tasks.
3. Volunteers shall put on a distinctive uniform vest in accordance with the specifications determined by the Governor, provided that it features a label indicating voluntary action.
Emergency Subcommittees and Support Volunteer Committees shall operate under the supervision of the Governor to support security and medical agencies in combating and preventing the spread of COVID-19.
All committees must observe the principles of the rule of law, respect public and personal rights and freedoms, and uphold the values of integrity and impartiality. In particular, they and their members shall be prohibited from:
1. Exercising any executive tasks of those assigned to Palestinian security forces under effective laws.
2. Searching persons or places, arresting anyone, or prosecuting wanted persons or those accused of committing criminal offences.
1. All the committees provided for under this Decision must compile and make publicly available lists of their funding sources and the volume and type of cash and in-kind donations which they receive. They must also show the channels and criteria of their disbursement and distribution.
2. Assistance and aid shall be distributed in coordination with the Ministry of Social Development.
3. In accordance with the legislation in force, competent oversight bodies shall carry out the actions of oversight and inspection over the functions of committees to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, as well as integrity and transparency in their operations.
4. Complaint units at Governor Offices shall be empowered to receive, investigate, and take necessary legal action on citizens’ complaints in relation to the functions of all committees.
The volunteer must comply with the following:
1. Answering the call of competent authorities and responding to citizens’ requests within the purview of their mandate and tasks at soon as practicable.
2. Abiding by the orders and instruction issued to them by competent authorities.
3. Performing the functions assigned to them.
4. Adhering to good conduct and complying with public morals and respect for others.
5. Notifying the competent authorities of changes to their address or means of communication.
6. Preserving properties, tools, devices, and equipment which they receive to carry out their voluntary tasks and not using the same in actions other than those entrusted to them.
In their capacity as the Chair of the Higher Emergency Committee, the Governor shall be in charge of all Emergency Subcommittees and Support Volunteer Committees in their governorate, as well as of liaison with the Joint Operation Room.
Each person who violates a provision of this Decision shall be subject to the penalties provided for under the Law by Decree No. 7 of 2020 Concerning the State of Emergency.
All provisions that contradict the provisions of this Decision shall be repealed.
All the competent authorities, each one within its sphere of jurisdiction, shall implement the provisions of this Decision, which shall enter into force as of the date of its promulgation and shall be published in the Official Gazette.
Promulgated in the city of Ramallah on May 5th, 2020 Anno Domini,
Corresponding to Ramadan 12th, 1441 Anno Hegira.
Dr. Mohammad Shtayyeh